PET SNAKE vs PET LIZARD
PET SNAKE vs PET LIZARD – Getting a pet lizard is really amazing and something most people will love. They might jump into getting one without properly considering what it will require of them. Before deciding on the lizard you are looking forward to getting. You should be ready to provide it with the type of care it requires and note the amount of satisfaction you will derive from having one.
Below are some of the things to consider when getting a lizard as a pet.
- Setting up a terrarium in a first place requires a big room because it consumes a lot of space. Unlike setting up the snake which requires just a portion of the house that fits their size when grown and at full length.
- Unlike the snake, in setting up the home (terrarium house) of a lizard, you need to get some important equipment. Without which your lizard will not survive. You need to get specific UV lighting in their terrarium and some other stuff so as to keep them alive.
- Taking care of and feeding a lizard requires a specific diet. This will require more expenses. Mind you, it’s not just the expenses but also the time involved in getting the food.
- If you’re expecting love and affection from a pet, you will not get it from a lizard. This is because at most times they don’t show love or attention. You’ll just keep them for the pleasure of looking at them.
- Should your lizard escape, there is no chance of it returning on its own and will at most times die in the wild.
- Lizards at times carry bacteria called Salmonella bacteria. So you will need to be very careful when touching your lizard or throwing out its feces.
- It will be really hard to deal with an aggressive species of lizard. Lizards are usually aggressive to other pets and cannot live together with a cat or dog. Most importantly the big lizards can hurt children and can be really aggressive.
- Lizards are usually less expensive, unlike snakes at the time of purchase. The cost of taking care of a lizard is far beyond and more expensive compared to the initial purchase amount. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
WHY KEEPING A PET SNAKE IS PREFERRED TO KEEPING OTHER REPTILES
Are you a reptile lover?
Are you thinking of which reptile to keep and add to your collections or you’re just thinking of getting one?
Most people imagine that keeping a pet snake can be really dangerous, unadvisable and expensive. And then they rather decide to get someone more mainstream like a dog or cat.
Keeping a reptile as a pet is a really fun thing to do and it becomes more fun when you keep the right one. All reptiles can be the right one with proper care. Some are easier to care for as a beginner than others. You must do thorough research before just taking on any new pet.
Putting into consideration the cost of keeping them, the experience needed so that you know what will be required to keep them healthy and happy. All these criteria listed above and more should be placed into consideration when opting for a new pet.
Among all reptiles, I’ll say that the snake is the most preferred and here are the reasons:
Before comparing the snake to other pets (lizard, guinea pigs, mouse, turtle, tarantula), I’ll like to give you some reasons why you should keep a pet snake: – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
REASONS TO KEEP A PET SNAKE
Snakes are amazing and charming reptiles and with constant handling, the snake can turn out to be the best pet to have around. However, it should be made clear that snakes are not an ideal pet for everybody. This is because they possess some exclusive requirements. You should have a good understanding and be very committed so that you can meet the needs of the snake. Notwithstanding, there are still some parts to taking care of and having a snake that makes it amazing.
THEY ARE VERY EASY TO TAKE CARE OF:
Due to the fact that snakes are carnivores, they usually need just one thing and that is meat. Mind you, you don’t have to go through the stress of getting different kinds of meats. That is because preferably, they love dead rats and mice. These can be purchased in frozen packages from stores. Besides the frozen rats they also will only require water in their tanks or enclosure. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
SNAKES DON’T REQUIRE A LOT OF EXERCISES
You don’t have to go through the stress of making your pet do exercise. The snakes can exercise without help. Just by providing them some proper climbing equipment in their cages, then they can do the rest themselves. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
SNAKES ENJOY STAYING IN THEIR CAGES
The closer your snakes are to their home or natural habitat, the better for them. So when setting up their aquarium or habitat. You should make them feel at home by proving hiding places for their relaxation, lighting, and temperature. Making the base of their habitat natural etc. Snakes will be really glad to enjoy their place as long as you do the little things required to take care of them. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
DON’T WORRY ABOUT GROOMING, SNAKES DO IT THEMSELVES
Once a month, snakes shed their skins. In order for this process to be a successful one, you should remember to keep track of the humidity and temperature of the habitat.
SNAKES LOVE IT WHEN THEY’RE BEING HANDLED
Snake bond with you properly when you hold then often. They will always feel comfortable when they are with their owners and make sure you handle them with care.
Now, we’ll be comparing having a snake as a pet to other reptiles. With a hope that after this you will know which one is preferable or should be more preferred than a snake. You should make a comparison with the above reasons for keeping a snake. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
PET SNAKE vs PET TURTLE
Taking care of a turtle is really easy for some people. But for a majority of people, it is difficult to keep them happy. The creature ends up dying. If you’re thinking about getting these beautiful creatures, you should do thorough research and think about it properly before making a decision.
- So as you know, turtles are not for beginners. This is because taking care of a pet turtle is a really demanding task and one that should be done with care. Unlike the snake, you just need good habitat food and average care.
- Unlike the pet snake, the turtle is known to eat a lot and this entails extra time and extra expenses. To round it all up, keeping a turtle is really demanding and expensive
- Turtles not minding their sizes need very large space. For instance, even the smallest pet turtle is known to be kept in at least a 20-gallon tank and that is really space consuming.
- You should also know that all turtles carry the salmonella bacteria. Without proper care, the chances of them passing it to their owners are high. Though these creatures are cute and amazing, they don’t make an ideal pet for children. This is mostly due to the fact that they can easily transmit the salmonella bacteria.
- The turtle only loves you when they are fed and due to the fact that they eat a lot. You’ll have to feed them all the time so they can love you all the time.
- The startup cost of getting or purchasing a turtle is really low compared to what you’ll spend throughout its lifetime. When I say lifetime I mean an average of twenty-five (25) years if properly cared for.
- Unlike the snake, you shouldn’t expect the turtle to interact with you all the time. Bearing in mind that you are only its friend when they are being fed by you. Other than this they will not have much interest in you. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
PET SNAKE vs PET TARANTULA
If you’re considering getting a tarantula as a pet spider, then you should look at different variety before doing that. If this is your first time owning or caring for a pet tarantula, you should be aware of not just the pros and cons but also the available species to choose from. There are other things to put into consideration when choosing a tarantula as a pet:
- Tarantula requires a lot of care and attention. This is owing to the fact that they are usually small in size.
- At most times, people have a phobia for Tarantulas and the fear ranges from mild to extreme. You might just have a family member that has the phobia. To other people around, keeping a tarantula as a pet makes you a weirdo and can be considered taboo and nobody wants to have that stigma.
- Mind you, you can’t be satisfied with just one Tarantula. You’ll need more than one and that increases the job of taking care of them.
- You’ll have to deal with the constant chirping of the tarantula. You or your visitors might not be comfortable with that. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
PET SNAKE vs PET MOUSE
Getting a mouse or mice or caring for a mouse as a pet, you should consider doing your homework on them. You should do research on things like the pros and cons of having a mouse. Research on the different breeds, research on their housing, their food, and generally on the amount of care and attention required.
- It is really unfortunate that mice can be a bit smelly most times. This is more noticed in the male than the females. So it is not fully advisable to keep a mouse if you live in a small space because of the odor. The odor can be easily noticed by people who are not used to it.
- The cage of a mouse requires constant cleaning and this is one tedious task.
- At most times, the lifespan of a mouse is usually around 1.5 years and this is really upsetting. This will definitely be a downer because you would have to deal with the death of it. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
PET SNAKE vs PET GUINEA PIGS
A guinea pig can bring you a lot of joy as well as happiness and not just to you but to your household as well. Mind you, keeping a guinea pig requires a lot of feeding and care. The pleasure of owning and taking proper care of a guinea pig will also come with an endless list of chores and expense.
- Unlike the snake, the Guinea pigs need a larger place or space. Mind you it’s not just going to be a space or cage as it is with the snake. It’s going to be something the size of a compound and this is owing to the fact that the guinea pig loves to run and you’ll need a space to fit that need.
- The compound or the cage where the guinea pig stays need to be cleaned properly. This will prevent bugs and vermin to keep them in great condition. For all breed of guinea pigs, you have to pay attention to keeping their nails on their claws cut. For some breeds, they need attention given to their fur, like keeping it neatly trimmed.
- Guinea pigs are usually noisy. They don’t care about the time or if you are sleeping. They can make a loud noise even when you are deep asleep.
- The initial cost of the guinea pig will be low. Their lifetime cost will be expensive. The costs can escalate especially having to pay vet bills, litter, vegetable, water etc.
- Taking care of a guinea pig will mean you’ll have to put up with the smell. Especially if you have forgotten to clean their cage once in a while. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
Having listed all the considerations to make when getting each of these pets lizard, guinea pigs, mouse, turtle, and tarantula. It is of no doubt that getting a snake as a pet is the best option. You should consider getting yourself a pet snake. Because no matter the species of snake you’re getting, the commitment, expense, and care required for them are really low. This compared to the pets listed above. – Pet Snake vs Pet Lizard
Please take some time to read: Pet Snakes – 7 Things to Consider when Choosing a Pet Snake
You should consider getting yourself a pet snake today