Snakes, unlike a majority of other reptiles, can make great hobby pets. They are often calm, cool, and even inviting. At times, though, they may perceive your interactions as intimidating and turn aggressive. It’s during such less-than-ideal moments when you need a snake hook to handle this lovely but sly pet.
Depending on the design, you can use the hook to scoop your snake pet, or just move it to the appropriate location. On abroad scale, snake hooks come in three categories:
STANDARD SNAKE HOOKS
You will often find these heavy-duty hooks made of sturdy steel and are up to 46” long. You will find them handy if your snake pet is heavy.
If you are planning to transport your pet snake to another location, you may need an easier to park or carry around hook. Collapsible snake hooks are compatible and will easily fit in the carrying case.
SMALL SIZE SNAKE HOOKS
These have custom lengths and are ideal for handling small pet snakes. They don’t take much space and you can carry them around.
TOP 10 BEST SNAKE HOOKS
Depending on the species and weight of your pet, there is a variant of snake hooks and tongs on offer. So, which are the best hooks to choose from?
DOCSEWARD SNAKE HOOK
The DocSeward snake hook has a rugged but sturdy appearance. It’s well suited controlling or lifting small sized snake pets such as ball python. It has a sturdy rubber grip, a copper ferrule that makes it light, and a stainless steel frame for durability.
For a touch of beauty, this hook flaunts a high level of craftsmanship that you will be proud to use in whichever location.
WHY CHOOSE IT
- Build of sturdy materials for durability and reliability while in use.
- It can reach a length of 43″ which keeps you a safe distance from your pet. It also saves you from constant bending that leads to back pains.
- The solid construction of the shaft-hook joint minimizes possibilities of the joint cracking
- You have an option of going with the MAX design if your snake is large and heavy or the standard design for medium to small sized snake pets.
ODONTOMED 2011 30″ SNAKE HOOK
Billed as the charming tool for any snake catcher, the OdontoMed2011 hook has 30” rod that ensures you remain a safe distance from your pet. The main frame is made of stainless steel for strength and durability. The handle gives you a good grip so that you handle the snake with confidence.
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY IT
- A combination of simplistic design and a good grip handle makes it easy to use this hook
- Stainless steel construction which guarantees the longevity of use
PRECISE CANADA SNAKE HOOK
It’s design closely resembles the OdontoMed2011 snake hook. It, however, has an appealing blue hook that gives it a classic, custom appearance.
The main frame is made of stainless steel that is then dressed with silver coating for added protection and beauty.
WHAT MAKES IT A GOOD PICK
- textured handled for a firm grip as you lift the snake
DELUXE COLLAPSIBLE SNAKE HOOK
If you find fixed-frame snake hook a bother when moving around, you will need to source for a collapsible snake hook. The collapsible Deluxe snake hook has a compressed 18cm rod that you can expand to 66cm when need be.
This makes the hook ideal for lifting small snakes such as corn snakes and king snakes. It’s, however, not suited for lifting heavy or venomous snakes.
WHY CHOOSE IT
- A non-slip rubber grip so that you can handle your lovely pet with confidence
- A sturdy Club shaft that is made of chrome dressed steel. This guarantees reliability in the long run
- It has a nice, tight lock so that you can work uninterrupted
TAXONYX SNAKE HOOK
From a skeptical angle, the Taxonyx Snake hook may seem puny and unsuitable for your pet. The fact, the frame is super strong and ready for heavy lifting tasks. You will find easy to assemble and disassemble the different parts of this snake hook.
The versatile design also gives an edge especially if you have to lift your pet in crowded areas.
WHY ORDER THIS SNAKE HOOK
- It’s collapsible thus it will easily fit into the carry casing for storage or transport
- You can easily assemble and start using them. Similarly, it is easy to disassemble the parts after use.
SENZEAL RETRACTABLE SNAKE
This revolutionary hook features a Duckbill hook head and a scalable frame made from stainless steel. The steel rod is scalable so that you can adjust the length depending on the size and the type of your snake pet. However, the rod can stretch to a maximum of 26.77″. It’s advisable to use this rod for small to medium-sized snake pets.
WHAT MAKES THE SENZEAL RETRACTABLE SNAKE HOOK STAND OUT
- A freely scalable rod for better pet handling and your own safety
- Duckbilled hook head and wide serrated jaws to keep your pet safe when scooping it
- Light in weight making it easy to handle
SWELL PYTHON HOOK (100CM)
This sturdy hook features an innovative, light, and easy to handle steel frame. The hook is smooth so that your pet experiences minimum stress. With its 100cm rod, you will find the Swell Python hook a handy tool for handling large snake pets such as the python.
The hook’s frame features a rubber coating that provides the required friction with your pet’s underbelly. This prevents the snake from sliding off as you lift or move it.
REASONS TO BUY IT
- With a 100cm of length, this hooks keeps you out of harm’s way
- It’s sturdy enough to handle both small-sized and larger size snake pets. The versatility of use saves you some bucks in case you opt to buy a larger snake pet.
TELESCOPING SNAKE HOOK
If you need to inspect your pet’s terrarium, you’ll have to move your pet through a tight angle. The 39-Inch CatYou Telescoping Snake hook is the perfect tool for this kind of a task. The stainless steel frame is sturdy and handle offers enough friction for a better grip.
WHY IT’S A GOOD BUY
- Collapsible which makes it easy to transport or pack for storage
- Versatile as you can use on other reptiles around the compound
TOM’S REPTILE SNAKE HOOK
While a majority of the hooks in this list have a rubber or metallic handle, Tom’s reptile snake hook flaunts a wooden handle. It also comes with 1 1/2 inch jaws for easy grasping of the pet. You will find the 24-inch long stainless steel rod is more suited for handling smaller snakes.
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY THIS HOOK
- Its easily portable as it light
- A textured rubber handle gives a firm grip on the hook. The rubber can as well be used a pinner
- The hook has a casual design that includes an anodized red shaft and a black hook
EXO TERRA COLLAPSIBLE SNAKE HOOK
Exo Terra snake hook is designed to keep you, the handler, and your pet safe. The hook has a rounded that minimizes the possibilities of accidentally piercing your pet as you attempt to scoop.
The shaft on the hook’s handle to keeps the tool steady as you lift the snake. This keeps your pet calm regardless of the distance you would want to move it.
WHAT MAKES EXO TERRA A GOOD PICK
- The hook is both light in weight and collapsible. You can easily compact and pack it in its pocket-sized carrying case.
- The inbuilt Exo Terra wristband makes it easy to safely carry this hook around the fields as it you wouldn’t drop it accidentally.
- You can expand the Exo Terra snake hook for a length of up to 24 inches, which keeps you a safe distance from your pet snake.
Exercising caution when handling your pet snake doesn’t only keep it safe but also cements your friendship and trust. Using a snake hook minimizes unnecessary contact and protects her from injuries while giving you the confidence of handling your lovely pet. But before you can think of scooping or herping that pet, pick the right snake hook from the list offered in here.